Updated July 1, 2019
What is Adult Signature Required service?
Adult Signature Required is a service offered by USPS, FedEx, and other carriers that requires that the recipient be of 21 years of age and up. “Adult” is defined by these carriers to be the legal age for a recipient to take delivery of any age-restricted product, such as alcohol.
This service requires that someone at the delivery address be at least 21 years of age (and able to present an ID to confirm this) to accept delivery - this means that anyone at the delivery address can sign for the package, provided that they are at least 21. (Yay! You don’t have to be home, as long as someone that’s 21 will be - and will answer the door!)
Are you of legal age to purchase in your state but aren’t yet 21? VapeWild is a 21-and-up company; our brick-and-mortar stores, as well as our online store, will now only serve customers who are 21 or older. With several states recently passing T21 laws, we’ll abide by those policies. It’s the right thing to do.
Where and Why is this service required?
State regulations for online orders of eliquid require that Adult Signature Required delivery service be mandatory in the states of Texas, Iowa, Massachusetts, Nevada, North Dakota, Virginia, and South Carolina.
While the FDA regulates some of the terms of the sale of eliquid and related products at the Federal level, each state can issue its own mandates, detailing the terms by which eliquid can be sold and delivered for online purchase.
What does this mean for me?
Well, who is me?
If you are shipping to Texas, Iowa, Massachusetts, Nevada, North Dakota, Virginia, or South Carolina, then this means you. Again, since these states require Adult Signature delivery service for delivery of our products, someone of at least 21 years of age must be available to sign for your order.
If you live in a state that is considering this legislation, activism, activism, activism!
If you are Active Military and are shipping to an APO or FPO, keep reading! You don’t fall under this domain because Federal guidelines for military personnel stipulate that 18 is the minimum age for purchasing products containing nicotine, including eliquid. In order for us to offer you the standard USPS Priority delivery option, you must register with us as Active Military - the cool part is that this may also qualify you for some fringe benefits - yay!
How can I make Adult Signature Required service work best for Me?
While this may seem like the proverbial fly in the vegetable glycerin, there are some things you can do to make this as painless as possible:
- Have your package sent to your work. Anyone over the age of 21 can sign for your package!
- Try out USPS Informed Delivery - Signing up for this free service allows you to track your delivery via text alerts, and, if you notice that it will be arriving on a day that doesn’t work for you, you can have your carrier hold your package at your local post office right from your phone! You can also do this from your computer by visiting the USPS website, or by calling your local post office.
- Look into FedEx Delivery Manager - This free service allows you to track your package via text alerts, schedule deliveries, and even request that your package be held at your local authorized FedEx location - this could be a FedEx location or a participating Walgreen’s or FedEx Print and Ship location (formerly Kinko’s). Please note that even though the app information says that you can sign remotely for a package, this does not apply to Adult Signature Required packages.
- Schedule or plan to order at a time when you know you or someone 21+ will be home. The FedEx shipping option that we offer, FedEx Ground Adult Signature, delivers Monday - Friday and transit time is typically 2-3 business days. USPS delivers Monday through Saturday and also takes about 2-3 business days.
- Use coupon code SIGNON your first time around, and we’ll cover the added cost of $6.40 for this service to help you plan how to make this work for you! (Wondering more about the rates? Keep reading.)
What happens if no one 21+ is available to sign for my package?
Both USPS and FedEx attempt delivery 2-3 times before returning to sender. Both services hold packages that haven’t been picked up after 2-3 attempts at a local depot for a day or two (sometimes longer for USPS) before returning the package to VapeWild So, if you reach 3 attempts, get your butt down there to nab your vape mail before it comes back to us!
I have a P.O. Box. Will that work for this service?
No worries! Your postal carrier will leave a card in your box - just take it to the counter to take delivery of your package. Make sure you bring your ID! :)
What is in it for me? Why should I do this?
If you live in one of these seven states and choose to order vaping supplies online, this is the law of the land. Our industry is under fire from every direction and its survival depends upon both purchasers and vendors doing all we can to make sure that we conduct ourselves responsibly and stay above reproach. In this way, we make sure that we aren’t contributing to the fear-mongering that characterizes the climate of what we see happening with current and proposed regulations.
We understand that the rates involved in this service hit you where it hurts. Our mission has always been to bring delicious, quality products to you at a price that makes this accessible to anyone that might benefit from vaping (of legal age, of course).
We are committed to doing all we can to make this worth your while, including making continued efforts to renegotiate rates whenever possible, passing whatever savings we can on to you. Additionally, we’re exploring other possibilities, as we expand our brick and mortar presence that might allow for pickup at your hometown VapeWild store!
Don’t forget - use code SIGNON the first time you encounter this and the added fee is on us ($6.40 discount)!
Help me understand the rate I’m seeing for shipping.
For orders over $39.99, we’ll continue to cover the standard rate for USPS Priority ($5.99) and you’ll be responsible for the fee for Adult Signature Required service ($6.40).
For orders under $39.99, the cost is the total of both the standard shipping rate and the ASR service fee.
I’m an AF Member. What about that Free Shipping y’all promised?
The full cost of shipping and the additional service fee is included with the AF membership!
TL;DR for those of you with busy lives:
- Adult Signature Delivery 21+ is the requirement when shipping to these states: TX, IA, MA, NV, ND, VA, and SC. It’s your state’s law (see above for links to legislation, if you’re interested in learning more).
- Someone 21 or up, not necessarily you, needs to be available to sign for the delivery. Transit time is 2-3 business days: USPS delivers Mon - Sat & FedEx delivers Mon - Fri
- Shipping to a PO Box? No problem!
- USPS and FedEx have cool apps to help track and manage your delivery!
- USPS Priority $5.99 is still covered by VW for purchases over $39.99. The added fee of $6.40 for signature required is not.
- Is shipping still free for AF members? Yes!
- If you’re Active Military and are shipping to any of these states, click here to avoid all of this (military addresses operate under federal jurisdiction, rather than state).
- Thanks for supporting us in our efforts to stay compliant with current regulations and keep the vaping industry as safe as possible from future restriction!
- Do you want to make a difference? Activism, activism, activism.
Posted by Leah - Customer Service Manager on Apr 8th 2019