Yes, vape juice can go bad if left in certain conditions or if it sits out too long before it is used. If you leave your vape juice out in the sun, or if you do not use it in 2 years, it will expire.
Let’s talk about the following topics:
- How do you know when e-juice is expired?
- Can you still vape it?
- Why does it expire?
- How do you keep it fresh?
How do you know when e-juice is expired?
There are several ways to tell that e-juice is expired. You can either look at your bottle and see the difference, or you can go so far as to smell it. If you end up vaping and notice the difference, that is ok too! Don’t worry too much about that.
Here are some of the tells to look out for:
- The juice is darker than normal
- The flavor is dull
- It smells bad
- The nicotine doesn’t deliver a smooth throat hit
- The “born on” date is longer than 2 years ago
Can you still vape expired vape juice?
Yes, you can still vape e-juice if it’s expired. You can use it all the way up to, and even a little past, the 2-year mark from the “born on” date. However, if you do vape expired e-juice, you might experience a flavor that is dull with a weaker throat hit. When it’s expired you will, more than likely, not have an enjoyable experience.
Why does it expire?
There are two main reasons as to why it expires, nicotine oxidation and flavor degradation.
Nicotine Oxidation: Nicotine will oxidize when it is left in direct sunlight, or warmer than room temperature conditions. Also, it oxidizes when the bottle is left open for too long. When nicotine oxidizes, it will affect the flavor and have a dramatically harsher throat hit.
Flavor Degradation: After around 2 years of sitting idly, the flavor will degrade. This will result in less flavor, or a change in flavor. It can change in the sense that it will carry a chemical taste.
How do you keep it fresh?
Keep your e-juice fresh by storing it correctly, sealing your bottles, and leaving it out of direct sunlight.
- Store in a cool dark place: Room temperature conditions coupled with the darkness of a cupboard or drawer is perfect. This is the best place for ease of access it when you are ready to vape your day away!
- Make sure your bottles are sealed: When you use your vape juice and store it for a while, say when you change flavors, make sure that you close your bottles tightly. There is an active seal when your bottles are closed properly. That goes a long way to preserve the flavor.
- Store in a refrigerator for maximum longevity: Storing vape juice in a fridge is the perfect place! It keeps your flavors cool while they steep or sit waiting for your tank. Not to mention, refrigerators are dark when the door is closed! Fridges will maximize longevity. It just might stay fresh longer than the 2-year mark, but again, who waits that long?!
In the end
Now you are equipped with the information you need to keep fresh! You understand what will happen when your e-juice is expired, and how you don’t want to let that happen. Hopefully, you don’t have to experience it when it’s expired, but if you do, toss it and move on to the next bottle! Oh, and of course, order some more!Stay wild, vape fam!
Author: Gabriel Pimentel
|Gabriel is a student of the vaping industry that loves to help inform the community! He started his vaping career in 2015 as a customer service agent and now works to write blogs for VapeWild. He loves to hear from his readers and answer their questions on Twitter!|
Posted by Gabriel on May 15th 2019