You’re here to read up on how to clean your tanks, your coils and your mod (vape), welcome! Today you’re going to read about cleaning materials, what you can and cannot clean, and you should have an idea to how much time goes into the process. This is exciting!
How to Clean Your Tank
TL;DR: Clean your vape tank by choosing a cleaning agent, disassembling the tank, soaking it in your cleaning agent, then letting it sufficiently dry.
Propylene Glycol (PG) Rinse
PG works as a flavor carrier, so what it will do, other than wash away the residue, is carry the flavor away. Like a trapper, it finds the flavor, catches it, and takes it away! It works really well for clearing out the flavor you don’t want to taste any longer.
The most famous agent on this list! Baking soda has its obvious benefits. It works to clear harder to clean areas, loosen up the thick and caked e-liquid, and make it easier to rinse. Baking soda is awesome, and should definitely be rinsed away thoroughly!
Vinegar with some water is a great way to loosen up some of the harder to reach areas and remove any memory of the vape juice that you had in the tank. Vinegar would be best for a tank that has sat there for a good long while, you neglectful vaper, you. Again, make sure to rinse thoroughly!
That’s right! Cheap vodka cleans a tank really well. It will capture the flavor, separate the stuck-on e-liquid from the surface, and carry it all away when you rinse! Make sure you rinse thoroughly. Vaping with vodka is not a good idea. Do not do that.
It is the most important part of the cleaning process because it rinses off your tank, coils, all of your thirst. Water is essential, so use it!
Now that you have your cleaning solution/agent, make sure to grab some q-tips or pipe cleaners and some paper towels! Here is the process of cleaning your tank!
Steps to Cleaning Your Tank
- Remove the tank from your mod. Whatever solution you use, it won’t go well for you if your mod gets wet. If your tank is connected to your mod, skip to the end of this section.
- Empty any remaining e-liquid, it won’t all go away but it will be mostly gone.
- Remove the coil(s).
- Take your tank apart, as far as you are comfortable. Removing the O-rings is a good idea, but not necessary. Take mental pictures, or mobile pictures, of where each piece of your tank goes. Nothing is worse than taking something apart and not knowing how to put it back together.
- Fill a bowl with one of the cleaning agents of your choice, enough to submerge your tank.
- (If using water to soak your tank, boil the water first. Water only, it isn’t necessary to boil vinegar or baking soda, and boiling vodka is a bad idea.)
- Submerge the pieces of your tank in the solution and let it sit for anywhere between 30-120 minutes. Half an hour to about two hours. Math is fun.
- Rinse the cleaning agent off of your tank with some water.
- Place the pieces of your tank on a paper towel or something to take in the water and let it dry.
- Use q-tips for the smaller parts of the base or caps.
- Re-assemble your fresh and clean tank.
Vape Pen Cleaning Instructions
Use a q-tip with either PG, vinegar, or baking soda and wipe, swipe to remove the residue. Then use a dry q-tip or paper towel stuffed in to soak up the leftover wetness.
How to Clean Your Coils
This is probably the most asked question vapers ask when it comes to cleaning their vapes. “Can I clean these coils instead of buying new ones?” The short answer is yes! It is time-consuming, you should know that upfront.
RDA vs Vape Tank Coils
You should also know the difference in coils. There are rebuildable coils and pre-built coils. A rebuildable coil is one that vapers wrap, wick, and install themselves on the deck of an RDA or RTA. Prebuilt coils are cased in metal and have cotton surrounding one or more coils of Kanthal or Stainless Steel. Each of these is replaceable and you can clean either type of coil, the process is different, however. First, cleaning pre-built coils. They take the longest, so be prepared.Pre-Built Coil Cleaning
Vape Tank Replaceable Coil Cleaning Instructions
- Choose your agent (hot water, vinegar, PG, cheap vodka).
- Fill a bowl with one of them.
- Place your coil in the bowl and let it soak for 30-60 minutes.
- Q-tip down the “barrels” of the/each of the coils surrounded in cotton to remove the loose flakes of caked e-liquid.
- Rinse your coil thoroughly.
- Place the coil on a paper towel and let it dry completely. This takes the longest, at least two hours. You would benefit from letting it dry overnight.
RDA (Rebuildable) Vape Coil Cleaning Instructions
- Remove the wick (cotton) from the coil(s).
- Notice the gunk of e-liquid on there, and raise the wattage about 10-15 watts.
- Pulse the fire button long enough to see orange/red, but not really bright.
- Dunk the coils into a cup of water when glowing orange/red while being careful not to submerge any parts of your mod.
- The gunk will flake and you can easily blow it off!
- Use a toothbrush or soft-wired brush to lightly remove any remaining gunk.
How to Clean Your Mod
Cleaning your mod is essential, germs exist. Not just that but there are the times when your tank could leak some of your precious e-liquid, and you gotta get that mod clear of any potential vape juice getting into the electronic parts of your mod! Also, when is the last time you looked at your battery well, specifically the positive and negative posts? Here is what to do!
Vape Mod Cleaning Instructions
- Choose between glass cleaner, vinegar, or rubbing alcohol. Grab some paper towels or q-tips and you are ready for the process!
- Remove your tank and batteries from the Mod, if batteries are removable. If your mod is an internal battery, then focus on the outside. It is not suggested to take apart a mod with an internal battery.
- Dampen, never soak, your paper towel/q-tip and use the dab and twist motion on the area you are cleaning. If you are wiping away e-liquid from the outside of your mod, wipe gently, and never rinse your mod with any liquid. Electronics and liquid are not friends.
- Use rubbing alcohol (not vodka) to clean your battery posts. Make sure the area is completely dry before you install batteries again. Completely dry!
- Compressed air works wonders for blowing away dust and other particles that could find its way in the guts of your mod. Again, do not take it apart, exposing the electronics. That voids your warranty.
- Do not soak your Mod, but especially avoid getting any of the buttons on your mod wet. That is where most of the problem starts with liquid and mods.
There you have it, friends! Remember some of the most important things. No matter what you use to clean a tank or coil(s), rinse thoroughly! Also, dry completely! When you are cleaning your mod, do not expose the guts/electronic parts! That will void your warranty which prevents you from having your mod replaced if it is not functioning correctly. Do not use liquids excessively on your Mod! Electronics and liquid do not work well together.
Cleaning your vape takes time, and of course works really well when you use these tips and follow the process! This will help you when you are willing to put in the time to clean your vape. Share this with your friends and vaper fam! Stay Wild, friends!
Author: Gabriel Pimentel
|Gabriel is a student of the vaping industry that loves to help inform the community and answer their questions. He started his vaping career in 2015 as a customer service agent and now answers the public’s questions in the Wild Blogger. He loves to hear from his readers and answer their questions!|
Posted by Gabriel on Dec 26th 2018